I chose to spend the first week of 2021 in a social media detox, and the results were a little shocking to me.
It wasn’t as if I didn’t know the challenges posed by social media – it’s common knowledge that those brightly colored apps are distracting – but I wasn’t fully aware of the overall impact of social media on my mental health and anxiety levels.
That’s why I’m sharing some eye-opening social media stats and a proven, easy-to-use Social Media Intention Plan. Because we can all use a friendly reminder of the real purpose of using social media.
Today’s episode explores:
- [2:05] 3.8 Billion social media users worldwide as of January 2020, a 9% increase from 2019
- [3:26] The average American spends 2 hours and 8 minutes on social media every day
- [4:01] The average smartphone user in the U.K. checks their phone 28 times daily
- [4:33] The Technology Stress Paradox (read the full Harvard Business Review article about the Technology Stress Paradox)
- [5:52] Learn more about The Social Dilemma documentary and its primary findings about platforms’ algorithms
- [6:55] The power of a social media intention plan
- [8:24] The three greatest threats to how the internet is changing the state of human cognition (read the 2019 World Psychiatry journal article)
- [9:55] The 8-step checklist for an Intentional Social Media Plan
Rate, review, & subscribe to the podcast. If you’ve found today’s episode valuable, please rate and leave a review on your favorite podcast platform. I read every review and am so grateful for your support in spreading awareness about social media usage. Together, we can create a positive culture for how we work!