Here it comes. You’re faced with a big decision, like whether or not to start applying for a new job. It looms in the back of your mind 24/7. You keep running through every possible outcome, every worst-case scenario…. but you’re not making any progress.
This week’s episode is for anyone who’s ever gotten caught up in a thought swirl when faced with a momentous decision. Learn how to put your thought process through its paces by applying a decision tree to visualize next steps and possible outcomes.
This episode includes:
- [2:48] The 2 modes of thinking as described in Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- [3:36] Emotions can cloud our judgment, as seen in loss aversion or the sunk cost fallacy
- [4:15] The limits of a pros and cons list for making good decisions
- [5:00] What Philip Tetlock and Dan Gardner’s book Superforecasting reveals about sound judgment
- [6:28] How to create your own decision tree, step by step
- [7:50] Check out Harvard Business Review’s example of a Cocktail Party decision tree!
Rate, review, & subscribe to the podcast. Know someone who’s grappling with a multi-faceted decision and might benefit from a decision tree? If you’ve found today’s episode valuable, consider sharing it with a friend or leaving a review on your favorite podcast platform. Now is the time to support each other on our learning journeys!