When my mind starts toggling between dozens of demands, it’s easy to run out of steam – like when too many tabs open on an internet browser cause your whole computer to shut down. That kind of chaos sets my heart racing. Then I know it’s time for a reset.
Over the past few months I’ve returned to the exercise again and again. It’s fun, rejuvenating and can be done anytime, any place. No special posture, eye-closing or whooshing noises required.
It’s easy to find joy in a simple breath, when we know how to pay attention.
Feel how effortlessly and easily each part of your body works together when you breath:
- Breathe gently. Feel the air come in and out of your nostrils.
- Breathe gently. Feel the breath expand your ribcage and your heart.
- Breathe gently. Feel the breath fill your belly.
- Breathe gently. Feel the breath rush through your body, down to your toes.
- Breathe gently. Feel your whole body taking a breath,
Bonus: The end of this exercise is a great time to express gratitude, in whatever way you like.
That’s it! I promised you that this is a short exercise. The real power in this one is repetition, so once you start becoming aware of the breath, your mind will remember the rest of the exercise.
He lives most life whoever breathes most air.– Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Did you try the 45-second instant reset? Do you have another favorite breathing exercise to regroup and find presence? Please send me a note or leave your comments below – I can’t wait to read them.